Standards of Conduct
Each participant (player, coach and parent) in the Annandale Baseball/Softball Association is held to a standard of conduct.
Parents are asked to sign theirs before the season starts. Players should be informed of theirs during a pre-season meeting.
Coaches agree to theirs at a coaches meeting before the season starts. Each of them can be reviewed below.
Parents Standard of Conduct
In my words and actions, I pledge:
- to remember that the game is for the players and not the adults.
- to remember youth play baseball/softball for fun. I will accept any mistakes as part of their
learning process as they are playing for their enjoyment, not mine.
- to encourage my son/daughter to have fun and teach them that striving to win is more important than a victory.
- to be a positive role model for my son/daughter and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect, courtesy, and positive support
to all players, coaches, and officials.
- to let the coaches coach my son/daughter and refrain from yelling instructions from the stands.
- to not question, discuss, or confront the coaches during the game.
- that if I disagree with a coach’s decision, I will take time to speak to the coach after the game or at a time/place agreed
upon and attempt to resolve the matter amicably. I then may choose to address the issue with the Annandale Baseball/Softball Association Coordinator(s), Commissioner
- to recognize the value and importance of the volunteer coaches for giving of their time and effort to provide a safe and fun
environment for my son/daughter to play ball.
- that I will understand and respect the differences between parental roles and coaching roles. While as a parent responsible for
my son/daughter’s development, I will leave the coaching to the coach.
- to accept that players will have different field positions and spend time on the bench as baseball/softball is a team sport.
- that I will demand a sports environment that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and will refrain from their use at all games.
- that offensive, unsportsmanlike behavior such as profanity, obscene gestures, taunting, or any other offensive language or
behavior from parents, players, or spectators is not acceptable under any conditions.
- that I will encourage my son/daughter to take ownership and be responsible for his/her baseball/softball experience.
Players Standard of Conduct
As an Annandale Baseball/Softball Association player, I pledge that I will:
- practice good sportsmanship by treating all players, coaches, parents and officials with respect and dignity.
- be honest, fair and do the right thing.
- display good sportsmanship in victory and defeat.
- do my best to be at all practices and games. I understand that improvement comes from practice and I may need
to practice on my own to improve and have more fun.
- be on time for all practices/games and I will notify my coach if I cannot attend.
- ask my coach questions if I don’t understand or I need help.
- accept the decisions of officials without demonstrating inappropriate actions such as arguing, unsportsmanlike
gestures or language.
- not use profanity and understand that I will be warned after first offense. At the discretion of the coach, I can
be suspended from play for the remainder of the current practice, current game or for the following game.
- assist with equipment, bases, and cleanup at the end of each game and practice.
- represent the Annandale community, my team, my coaches and myself. I will conduct myself in a way that enhances our
reputation and character on and off the field.
Coaches Standard of Conduct
As an Annandale Baseball/Softball Association coach, I pledge to:
- treat players with dignity and respect regardless of their athletic ability.
- promote honesty, fairness, teamwork, sportsmanship, and responsibility. Foul language will not be used or tolerated.
- use positive motivation and reinforcement, and encourage positive thinking by using positive talk with all my players.
- encourage players to try their best and to practice at home when possible and will reward effort where possible.
- set performance goals that are divorced from all won/loss records or individual statistics. Basis will be on the fundamentals
of the game and the abilities of my players.
- give my players a chance to play different positions and show that they have improved.
- learn the rules of our league, division, all standards of conduct, and the fundamental practice skills necessary for player
success. I will explain to my players that respect for the game and the standards of conduct are required in both winning
- not permit offensive, unsportsmanlike behavior of any kind by my coaches, players or fans towards the umpires, the opposing
coaches or other players.
- not challenge judgment calls by the umpire. It is proper to challenge the interpretation of a rule, with proper documentation
of the rules. If I challenge a call, I will proceed in a courteous, non-confrontational manner.
- understand that players may not be removed from my team without the consent of the Annandale Baseball/Softball Association.
- clearly communicate my coaching philosophy to the players and parents, which will include my expectations, practices, and